Taliban attack on Pakistani police station kills six
Islamabad: In a brazen militant attack, Taliban attacked a police station in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provincee in Bannu city on Monday killing six people, including three policemen.
The militants equipped with rocket, hand grenades and automatic weapons assaulted the police station where the battle between the militants and the cops went on for an hour.
The militants hurled grenades and opened fire, killing five people who had just offered prayers.
Three policemen and three civilians were killed in the attack, it was reported.
The civilians were coming out of a nearby mosque when they were shot by the militants. Eight people were wounded, including three policemen and five civilians.
Three militants were killed during the attack and one escaped.
Pakistani Taliban spokesman Ahsanullah Ahsan claimed responsibility for the attack in a telephone call to The Associated Press.
The city of Bannu has been targeted by militants repeatedly in the recent past as it serves as a gateway to the North Waziristan tribal area, the main sanctuary for Taliban and al Qaeda militants in Pakistan.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why