Taliban attack toll up to 10 policemen
Lahore: A policeman who was wounded in an attack by Pakistani Taliban fighters died in a hospital on Sunday, taking the death toll in the incident to 10, officials said.
Muhammad Yasir sustained bullet injuries and was being treated at Mayo Hospital in Lahore.
"Yasir succumbed to his injuries while the condition of another injured policeman is critical," said Zahid Pervez, a doctor at the hospital.
Nine policemen were killed and as many injured when a group of 10 heavily armed militants attacked a building in the residential area of Ichra on Thursday.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan had claimed the responsibility for the attack.
The policemen were all employees of the prison department of Kyber-Pakhtunkhwa province and had come to Lahore for a training course.
They were living in a private building rented by the prison department of Punjab province.
In a related development, police have arrested seven members of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and Sipah-e-Sahaba in connection with the attack, officials said.
"We are interrogating them in connection with the attack in Lahore. Though there has been no breakthrough as yet, our search operations are continuing across the province," a Punjab Police spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25