Taliban attack toll up to 10 policemen
Lahore: A policeman who was wounded in an attack by Pakistani Taliban fighters died in a hospital on Sunday, taking the death toll in the incident to 10, officials said.
Muhammad Yasir sustained bullet injuries and was being treated at Mayo Hospital in Lahore.
"Yasir succumbed to his injuries while the condition of another injured policeman is critical," said Zahid Pervez, a doctor at the hospital.
Nine policemen were killed and as many injured when a group of 10 heavily armed militants attacked a building in the residential area of Ichra on Thursday.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan had claimed the responsibility for the attack.
The policemen were all employees of the prison department of Kyber-Pakhtunkhwa province and had come to Lahore for a training course.
They were living in a private building rented by the prison department of Punjab province.
In a related development, police have arrested seven members of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and Sipah-e-Sahaba in connection with the attack, officials said.
"We are interrogating them in connection with the attack in Lahore. Though there has been no breakthrough as yet, our search operations are continuing across the province," a Punjab Police spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH