Taliban attack toll up to 10 policemen
Lahore: A policeman who was wounded in an attack by Pakistani Taliban fighters died in a hospital on Sunday, taking the death toll in the incident to 10, officials said.
Muhammad Yasir sustained bullet injuries and was being treated at Mayo Hospital in Lahore.
"Yasir succumbed to his injuries while the condition of another injured policeman is critical," said Zahid Pervez, a doctor at the hospital.
Nine policemen were killed and as many injured when a group of 10 heavily armed militants attacked a building in the residential area of Ichra on Thursday.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan had claimed the responsibility for the attack.
The policemen were all employees of the prison department of Kyber-Pakhtunkhwa province and had come to Lahore for a training course.
They were living in a private building rented by the prison department of Punjab province.
In a related development, police have arrested seven members of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and Sipah-e-Sahaba in connection with the attack, officials said.
"We are interrogating them in connection with the attack in Lahore. Though there has been no breakthrough as yet, our search operations are continuing across the province," a Punjab Police spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video