Taliban attacks kill 9 people in Afghanistan
Kabul: Insurgents shot six police officers dead at a checkpoint and a suicide bomber killed three civilians at a shopping bazaar in two attacks in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday.
The attacks came during a surge in hostilities as Afghanistan`s spring fighting season begins. This year is being closely watched because Afghan forces must operate with less support from the international military coalition.
With foreign forces due to hand over combat responsibilities to the local forces next year, the current fighting is a test of their ability to take on the country`s insurgency.
Reflecting the surge in violence, the Afghanistan NGO Safety Office reported today that insurgent-initiated attacks increased by 47 per cent during the first quarter of 2013, compared to the same period last year.
The US-led NATO coalition has stopped releasing statistics on insurgent attacks in Afghanistan.
Afghanistan`s Defence Ministry said the Afghan army carried out 2,209 military operations during a month long period ending today. During that time, 467 insurgents and 107 soldiers were killed, and 362 militants were arrested, the ministry said in a report issued today.
April has been the deadliest month this year for security forces and Afghan and foreign civilians. According to an Associated Press tally, 222 people have been killed in violence around the nation this month, including today`s nine fatalities.
The Taliban assault on the checkpoint came early today in the Dayak district of Ghazni province, killing six police officers, wounding one and leaving one missing, said Col. Mohammad Hussain, Ghazni`s deputy police chief.
The second attack today hit Paktika province, which borders Ghazni. A suicide bomber detonated his explosives in a shopping bazaar around midday, killing three people and wounding five civilians and two police officers, said Mokhlis Afghan, the spokesman for the provincial governor.
Among the dead was Asanullah Sadat, who stepped down as the district`s governor two years ago.
Zabiullah Mujahid, a spokesman for Taliban, claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing. In an email to reporters, he said Taliban used the bomber to target Sadat because of his close relations with the Afghan government and the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight