close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Taliban attacks target Italians, kill five Afghans

A suicide bomber blew himself up outside Herat`s Italian-led Provincial Reconstruction Team.



Herat: Five Afghans were
killed on Monday and 52 people wounded, including five Italian
soldiers, when the Taliban attacked a NATO compound and a
crowded roundabout in a usually peaceful city.

A suicide bomber blew himself up outside Herat`s
Italian-led Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT), which works
on development projects, while several other attackers
unleashed a volley of gunfire from a nearby building.

Shortly afterwards a motorcycle bomb went off at a
crowded roundabout in the historic western city, which within
weeks will become one of the first places in war-torn
Afghanistan to transition from NATO to Afghan security
control.

Speaking after around five hours of fighting ended,
provincial police chief Sayed Agha Saqeb said: "It`s over.

"Four civilians are dead, one (Afghan army) commando
was killed and eight others are injured. Thirty-six civilians
are injured, three police are injured."

Women and children were among the wounded, he said,
adding there had been a total of five attackers.
The police chief`s toll did not include the injured
Italians but that figure was confirmed by Italian defence
minister Ignazio La Russa.

Elsewhere in Afghanistan, total of four international
troops were killed in other incidents today.

One was killed when a man in Afghan army uniform
opened fire in the troubled south; another died following a
helicopter crash landing, also in the south; and two were
killed by a roadside bomb in eastern Afghanistan.

PTI

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions