Taliban baying for Shakil Afridi’s blood: Report
Peshawar: Dr Shakil Afridi, the Pakistani doctor who helped Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) track Osama bin Laden, has been kept in a special cell by the Peshawar Central Prison authorities.
The prison authorities fear hardcore militants languishing in the prison could attack Afridi; hence the security has been tightened for the doctor.
According to The News, sources in the Home and Tribal Affairs Department said that dozens of hardcore militants who had links with the banned Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and other militant organisations, including al Qaeda, were also being held in the Peshawar Central Prison.
Meanwhile, intelligence officials have said keeping Shakil Afridi in Peshawar`s central prison is no less than keeping him in plain sight of the Taliban who are purportedly baying for his blood.
According to an intelligence report submitted to authorities in Islamabad, Afridi faces a grave threat to his life while he is imprisoned in the Peshawar central jail, reports The Express Tribune.
The location and accessibility of the prison makes it an easy target for the Taliban. Flanked on one side by the Grand Trunk Road, and the other three sides by the congested area of Saddar, the jail can easily be targeted by militants, especially those from the adjoining Khyber Agency, the report says.
According to intelligence sources, the Taliban are considering two options at the moment - to attack the prison, take Dr Afridi with them and have their leadership decide his fate, or have an inmate from the jail kill the doctor.
"Yes, the Peshawar prison might be attacked," said a prison official.
Officials recommend the shifting of Dr Afridi from Peshawar to Islamabad for now, before a future plan is chalked out.
The banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), on the other hand, said they would kill Dr Afridi to "avenge Sheikh Osama`s killing".
"We consider Dr Shakil Afridi our avowed enemy. Our fighters will kill him wherever they find him," TTP Deputy chief Waliur Rehman told the paper.
"He has done everything for money," Rehman said referring to Dr Afridi`s role in helping the CIA track down Osama in his Abbottabad compound.
"We will get him (Dr Afridi) as soon as possible to avenge the killing of Sheikh Osama," the TTP deputy chief added.
Shakil Afridi ran a fake vaccination campaign to get DNA sample of the children of al Qaeda chief in Abbottabad.
The 33-year jail term to Afridi has created outrage in the US with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton calling it "unjust and unwarranted" and a Senate panel voting to cut aid to Islamabad.
However, Pakistan on Thursday rejected US criticism over jailing Afridi, saying Washington should respect decisions of the country`s courts.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'