Taliban claim Afghan attack killing two Americans

Last Updated: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 16:24

Kabul: The Taliban claimed responsibility on Friday for killing two American service members in southern Uruzgan province, in what may have been the latest insider attack against Western troops.

In an e-mailed statement, Taliban spokesman Jusuf Ahmadi said a member of the Afghan security forces shot the two men yesterday and then escaped to join the insurgents.

A spate of insider attacks has undermined trust between international troops and Afghan Army and police, further weakened public support for the 11-year war in NATO countries and increased calls for earlier withdrawals.

Maj Lori Hodge, a spokeswoman for US forces in Afghanistan, said yesterday that authorities were trying to determine whether the latest attacker was a member of the Afghan security forces or an insurgent who donned a government uniform.

It was the second suspected insider attack in two days. On Wednesday, two British troops and an Afghan policeman were gunned down in Helmand province.

Before yesterday`s assault, 53 foreigners attached to the US-led coalition had been killed in attacks by Afghan soldiers or police this year.

PTI



First Published: Friday, October 26, 2012 - 16:24

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus