Taliban claims responsibility for killing Taseer
Peshawar: A Pakistani Taliban faction
linked to trainer of suicide bombers Qari Hussain on Thursday
claimed responsibility for the assassination of Punjab
Governor Salmaan Taseer, saying that the "man who killed him
was from among us."
"We claim responsibility for the killing of Salmaan
Taseer. The Punjab Governor was our target and we have planned
this programme and the man who killed him was from among us,"
Shakirullah Shakir, a spokesman for the fidayeen group
associated with Qari Hussain, said on phone from an
The militants spokesman also held out threats that
those who spoke against Islam would also be murdered.
Shakir claimed Taseer was killed for supporting Asia
Bibi, a Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy, and
for his remarks against the blasphemy law.
Malik Qadri, the Elite Force guard who gunned down
Taseer on Tuesday, said he was angered by the Governor`s
criticism of a controversial blasphemy law.
Qadri surrendered immediately after shooting Taseer.
Investigators are trying to determine if Qadri acted
on his own or was part of a conspiracy.
A provincial minister had recently said that Qari
Hussain, a Taliban commander from the Mehsud tribe who was
known as the trainer of suicide bombers, was killed in a US
drone attack in North Waziristan in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH