Taliban commander among nine militants killed in Pak
Peshawar: Nine Taliban fighters,
including a commander, were gunned down by security forces
during clashes in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the nearby
tribal belt in northwest Pakistan today, officials said.
Eight militants were killed during a clash with troops
in Mohmand tribal region.
Taliban commander Fazal Raheem was shot dead during a
gun battle in the Swat valley, officials said.
Under US pressure, Pakistan launched a military
offensive in May last year against militants and pushed them
out of the Taliban bastion of Swat.
Pakistani security forces have flushed out the Taliban
from many parts of the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan and
the army is expected to move into North Waziristan.
The Pakistani military claims it has killed nearly
1,000 militants since an offensive was launched in Orakzai
Agency earlier this year though the figure cannot be
independently confirmed as journalists are barred from the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...