Taliban commander among nine militants killed in Pak
Peshawar: Nine Taliban fighters,
including a commander, were gunned down by security forces
during clashes in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the nearby
tribal belt in northwest Pakistan today, officials said.
Eight militants were killed during a clash with troops
in Mohmand tribal region.
Taliban commander Fazal Raheem was shot dead during a
gun battle in the Swat valley, officials said.
Under US pressure, Pakistan launched a military
offensive in May last year against militants and pushed them
out of the Taliban bastion of Swat.
Pakistani security forces have flushed out the Taliban
from many parts of the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan and
the army is expected to move into North Waziristan.
The Pakistani military claims it has killed nearly
1,000 militants since an offensive was launched in Orakzai
Agency earlier this year though the figure cannot be
independently confirmed as journalists are barred from the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ranbir, Anushka all set to shoot romantic rain sequence
- 7th Pay Commission: CBSE chief R K Chaturvedi gets additional charge of implementation cell
- PM Modi lays foundations stone of AIIMS Gorakhpur, reopens sick fertiliser plant
- Get 75% concession on AC train tickets; know more about such concessions
- The India of our dreams: This poet's take will leave you inspired - Watch