Taliban commander among nine militants killed in Pak
Peshawar: Nine Taliban fighters,
including a commander, were gunned down by security forces
during clashes in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the nearby
tribal belt in northwest Pakistan today, officials said.
Eight militants were killed during a clash with troops
in Mohmand tribal region.
Taliban commander Fazal Raheem was shot dead during a
gun battle in the Swat valley, officials said.
Under US pressure, Pakistan launched a military
offensive in May last year against militants and pushed them
out of the Taliban bastion of Swat.
Pakistani security forces have flushed out the Taliban
from many parts of the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan and
the army is expected to move into North Waziristan.
The Pakistani military claims it has killed nearly
1,000 militants since an offensive was launched in Orakzai
Agency earlier this year though the figure cannot be
independently confirmed as journalists are barred from the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez