Taliban deny making death threats to Imran Khan
Peshawar: The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Thursday denied media reports that the group had threatened to kill cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan.
According to reports, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairman Imran Khan’s
decision to hold a march to Taliban’s tribal stronghold along the Afghan border to protest US drone attacks has irked Taliban.
A news agency had reported that although the Pakistani Taliban also oppose the strikes, which have killed many of their fighters, spokesman Ahsanullah Ahsan said they would target Imran Khan because he calls himself a "liberal" - a term they associate with a lack of religious belief. He also warned they would attack anyone who participates in upcoming elections.
"If he comes, our suicide bombers will target him," Ahsan told a news agency in an interview on Monday in the militant group`s stronghold of South Waziristan. "We will kill him."
Ahsan, however, today said that he was misquoted in the interview.
He claimed that he said that the TTP Shura would decide on the course of action if Imran Khan visits Waziristan.
In the interview, Ahsan had said the militants didn`t want Khan`s help in opposing drone attacks. Khan has said he is planning to lead thousands of people in a march to Waziristan in September to demonstrate against the strikes.
"We will not accept help or sympathy from any infidel," said Ahsan, referring to Khan. "We can fight on our own with the help of God," he said, as drones buzzed overhead.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars