Taliban deny making death threats to Imran Khan
Peshawar: The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Thursday denied media reports that the group had threatened to kill cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan.
According to reports, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairman Imran Khan’s
decision to hold a march to Taliban’s tribal stronghold along the Afghan border to protest US drone attacks has irked Taliban.
A news agency had reported that although the Pakistani Taliban also oppose the strikes, which have killed many of their fighters, spokesman Ahsanullah Ahsan said they would target Imran Khan because he calls himself a "liberal" - a term they associate with a lack of religious belief. He also warned they would attack anyone who participates in upcoming elections.
"If he comes, our suicide bombers will target him," Ahsan told a news agency in an interview on Monday in the militant group`s stronghold of South Waziristan. "We will kill him."
Ahsan, however, today said that he was misquoted in the interview.
He claimed that he said that the TTP Shura would decide on the course of action if Imran Khan visits Waziristan.
In the interview, Ahsan had said the militants didn`t want Khan`s help in opposing drone attacks. Khan has said he is planning to lead thousands of people in a march to Waziristan in September to demonstrate against the strikes.
"We will not accept help or sympathy from any infidel," said Ahsan, referring to Khan. "We can fight on our own with the help of God," he said, as drones buzzed overhead.
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!