Taliban deny meeting UN envoy for Afghan peace talks
Washington: The Taliban has denied as
"baseless rumours" reports that its top leaders had met UN
representatives to discuss bringing peace to Afghanistan and
vowed to persist in its war "against the invaders."
The denial came in response to news reports that Kai
Eide, the outgoing U.N. envoy, held a meeting in Dubai this
month with members of the Taliban leadership.
The United Nations has not confirmed that such a meeting
took place, although US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
said in Paris on Friday that Eide wanted to draw "his own
conclusion about the mind-set of some of the Taliban members."
In a statement, the Taliban leadership council described
such a meeting as "mere futile and baseless rumours."
"The Leadership Council once again emphasises
continuation of Islamic Jihad against all invaders as a means
to frustrate these conspiracies," The Washington Post quoted
the statement as saying.
Little is known about the reported talks, including whom
Eide, a Norwegian diplomat, met with from the Taliban and what
was discussed. Eide visited Dubai this month.
The Post, quoting Western officials in the Afghan
capital, Kabul said that the majority of the Taliban
leadership, thought to be based in Quetta in Pakistan, remain
staunchly opposed to negotiations with coalition forces.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has made overtures to the
Taliban and this week proposed convening a tribal gathering to
jump-start peace talks. The UN Security Council this week
lifted sanctions on five former Taliban officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'