Taliban deny meeting UN envoy for Afghan peace talks
Washington: The Taliban has denied as
"baseless rumours" reports that its top leaders had met UN
representatives to discuss bringing peace to Afghanistan and
vowed to persist in its war "against the invaders."
The denial came in response to news reports that Kai
Eide, the outgoing U.N. envoy, held a meeting in Dubai this
month with members of the Taliban leadership.
The United Nations has not confirmed that such a meeting
took place, although US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
said in Paris on Friday that Eide wanted to draw "his own
conclusion about the mind-set of some of the Taliban members."
In a statement, the Taliban leadership council described
such a meeting as "mere futile and baseless rumours."
"The Leadership Council once again emphasises
continuation of Islamic Jihad against all invaders as a means
to frustrate these conspiracies," The Washington Post quoted
the statement as saying.
Little is known about the reported talks, including whom
Eide, a Norwegian diplomat, met with from the Taliban and what
was discussed. Eide visited Dubai this month.
The Post, quoting Western officials in the Afghan
capital, Kabul said that the majority of the Taliban
leadership, thought to be based in Quetta in Pakistan, remain
staunchly opposed to negotiations with coalition forces.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has made overtures to the
Taliban and this week proposed convening a tribal gathering to
jump-start peace talks. The UN Security Council this week
lifted sanctions on five former Taliban officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015