Taliban deny secret channels of talks with UN
Peshawar: The Afghan Taliban has rejected former UN envoy to Afghanistan Kai Eide’s claims that talks with its leaders were on before the arrest of Mullah Ghani Barader, the Taliban’s second in-command.
A self-proclaimed spokesman of the Afghan Taliban Muhammad Yousaf Ahmadi told the Afghan Islamic Press that none of the Taliban leaders had ever met Eide or any of other US official.
“No Taliban official or representative has met or held talks with Kai Eide. We do not know what targets Kai Eide wants to achieve by telling such lies. However, we firmly say that the Taliban have not held negotiations with Kai Eide or any other UN official,” The News quoted Ahmadi, as saying.
Asked whether the Taliban held talks with Saudi Arabia or any other country, the Taliban spokesman said : “No, there is no change in our stance.”
It is pertinent to mention here that earlier this week, Eide had claimed that Barader’s arrest has blocked the secret channels of talks with the Taliban.
However, Pakistan has rejected Eide’s claims, saying the arrest had no links with the talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’