Taliban deny sending girl to attack Afghan police
Kabul: The Taliban on Tuesday denied that they sent a 10-year-old girl to stage a suicide attack against Afghan police after the girl claimed her brother, who was identified as a Taliban commander, had wrapped her in an explosives-packed vest.
Border police in southern Helmand province arrested the girl`s father and were searching for the brother, named Zahir, who had escaped with the suicide vest, a commander said.
"The guy named Zahir had the suicide vest and escaped, but she was still there and when our commander of the battalion heard her voice, they surrounded the area and brought this girl to their base, and we all heard her story on how she was forced into this action," Col Hamidullah Sediqi Sediqi said.
The girl, who identified herself only as Spozhmai, told police her brother told her to approach a checkpoint in southern Helmand province and ask the deputy commander for a ride with him to neighbouring Kunar province. I agreed then he attached the vest on my body and told me to spend the night here and leave in the morning." But she says she refused to carry out the attack the next day.
"I said I won`t go, then he took off the vest and tried to convince me that they (police) will die and I will remain alive," Spozhmai said.
The girl spoke to television cameras after police detained her yesterday.
Afghanistan`s Interior Ministry announced the girl`s detention in a statement Monday, saying she was 10 years old and describing her brother as a "Taliban commander."
But Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahamdi denied any involvement in the case.
Afghan president Hamid Karzai condemned the action, calling it "un-Islamic."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack