Taliban deny talks with Karzai: US monitoring group
Washington: The Afghan Taliban have denied reports that senior officials from the group held a face-to-face meeting with Afghanistan`s President Hamid Karzai, a US-based monitoring group said.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid released a statement posted on jihadist websites on June 30, refuting media reports that two senior Taliban officials -- Sirajuddin Haqqani and Anwar ul-Haq -- had held a meeting in Kabul with Karzai, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.
Mujahid said he regarded the story as an enemy plot to divide Taliban fighters who are carrying out a dogged military campaign against the government, by making them question their leaders.
"The enemy cannot heal their bitter defeats on the battlefield with such empty propaganda," he said in the statement yesterday.
"The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan strongly denies this report that has nothing to do with the truth. It considers it part of the plots by the enemy who on the one hand wants to lift the morale of their morally collapsed forces, and on the other, to create an environment of doubt and suspicion and so that the mujahideen do not count on one another," his statement said.
"However, this effort will not benefit the enemy in any way."
Reports by the Al-Jazeera broadcast network said Karzai had met with Haqqani, who heads the al Qaeda-linked Haqqani network, at his palace in the Afghan capital as a prelude to peace talks.
Haqqani is regarded as one of the most brutal militant leaders in the troubled region.
Al-Jazeera also reported that the talks had been mediated by Pakistan`s army chief General Ashfaq Kayani and the head of its intelligence services, lieutenant general Ahmad Shuja Pasha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof