Taliban faction claims attack on Pak ISI office
Karachi: The Jundullah faction of the banned Pakistani Taliban today claimed responsibility for the suicide attack on an ISI office in Sindh province, saying it was carried out to avenge the killing of commander Waliur Rehman in a US drone strike.
In a statement sent to TV news channels, Jundullah spokesman Ahmed Marwat said, "We sent four suicide bombers and our target was the ISI."
"It was revenge for the killing of Waliur Rehman," he said, referring to the killing of the senior Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan commander in a drone strike earlier this year.
The statement blamed the Pakistan government of working with US forces. Marwat said the militants would continue attacking security forces for targeting the rebels.
"These (intelligence officials) are friends of the US and until they refrain from their coalition with the US, we will continue to target them," he said.
Five persons, including a Deputy Director of the Inter-Services Intelligence agency, were killed when a group of suicide attackers stormed a high-security compound in Sukkur yesterday.
Five terrorists also died during the attack, officials said.
The compound housed offices of the ISI, Military Intelligence, Pakistan Rangers and police.
Militants have targeted ISI offices in Punjab and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa provinces in the past.
Dozens of people have died in attacks on ISI offices in Lahore, Multan, Faisalabad and Peshawar in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning