Taliban fronting `smooth speaking envoys` ahead of Afghan peace talks: Report
Washington: When the Taliban opened their political office in Qatar last week, it was the first time in many years that the world got to see members of the insurgents` inner circle - urbane and educated.
The members of the group conducted interviews in English, Arabic, French and German with easy fluency, passed out and received phone numbers and talked about peace.
However, in Afghanistan, there was the same old Taliban - fighters who waged suicide attacks killing numbers of civilians, and on Tuesday the militants carried out a deadly strike at the heart of the heavily secured government district in Kabul.
According to the New York Times, for officials watching the talks, these contradicting pictures of Taliban are signifying that they are taking advantage of two different tracks - organizing the fighting element even while setting up a new international diplomatic foothold in Doha.
These contradictions are complicating efforts to understand the true goals of the insurgents.
The identities and backgrounds of the Taliban delegation`s key members can be given on the basis of interviews with four disparate officials and on public appearances by the group in Qatar.
The eastern Taliban military commander said every single member of the delegation has been picked by the leadership council after a long series of lengthy discussions and sometimes tense talks.
Among the delegation are six former diplomats, five ex-ministers or deputy ministers, and four preachers - one of them is admired for his oratory by the Qatari defense minister.
In an interview, with Al Jazeera, Sohail Shaheen, a former second secretary in the Taliban`s embassy in Islamabad, who has been given a senior post in the group, made clear, that any talking in Doha would be conducted while fighting continued in Afghanistan.
He said the Taliban simultaneously follows political and military options. Because there is no cease-fire now, they are attacking us, and we are attacking them."
The group`s other spokesman, Mohammad Naim Wardak, is also fluent in English, and speaks Arabic and German.
Of the nine known delegates, at least three are on the United Nations blacklist that authorizes the seizing of assets - and prevents international travel. However, it appears that special arrangements were made to allow them to come to Doha.
Mualavi Shahzada Shahid, the spokesman for the Afghan government`s High Peace Council, said Qatar and other countries are providing extensive monetary aid to support the Taliban office, allocating a total of 100 million dollars for it.
Whatever the state of harmony within the Taliban, there are still obvious contradictions between their statements and actions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in