Taliban kill eight Afghan workers en route to US base
Puli Alam (Afghanistan): Taliban gunmen on Thursday shot dead eight Afghan civilians on their way to jobs at a US military base south of Kabul, officials said.
"Eight Afghan workers who were working in Camp Shank were killed this morning by Taliban," said the deputy police chief in Logar province, Rais Khan Sadeq.
Logar is a Taliban stronghold that neighbours the Afghan capital.
"They were forced out of their car and taken about 200 metres off road to a nearby village, and shot in the head one by one," he told a news agency.
Their bodies were found with their eyes blindfolded, the police officer said, describing them as "ordinary civilian workers" on the base.
US and NATO military bases across Afghanistan hire local staff to work on construction projects and as cleaners.
Din Mohammad Darvish, the Logar administration spokesman, confirmed the incident and said the bodies of the victims were recovered in the village.
"They were poor and ordinary workers, all civilians," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi