Taliban kill five Pakistani soldiers: Officials
Miranshah (Pakistan): Taliban militants
launched an attack on a military convoy in Pakistan`s
northwestern tribal belt on Sunday, killing five soldiers and
wounding three others, security officials said.
The convoy came under attack near Razmak town, more than
50 kilometres (31 miles) south of Miranshah, the main town in
the North Waziristan tribal district along the Afghan border,
"The convoy was moving from one area to another when
Taliban militants attacked it, killing five soldiers and
wounding three others," a security official in Peshawar said.
Another security official in Miranshah confirmed the
incident, saying militants were armed with rockets and
"They also hurled grenades in the attack," the official
Troops retaliated immediately with small and heavy
weapons but there was no report of Taliban casualties, he
North Waziristan is the main target of US drone strikes
and the most notorious bastion of Afghan Taliban and
al Qaeda-linked fighters in Pakistan`s semi-autonomous tribal
Washington has called the northwest region the global
headquarters of al Qaeda and US officials are increasing
pressure on Islamabad to launch an all-out military offensive
in North Waziristan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- ISRO rocket launch postponed in wake of missing IAF aircraft search!
- What a talent! 'Kar chale hum fida' patriotic song by this street singer will give you goosebumps - WATCH
- Migrant arrivals inch up after failed Turkey coup: Greece
- Second French church attacker formally identified: Prosecutors
- HUGE HONOUR! PM Narendra Modi featured in Obama's DNC introduction video - WATCH