Taliban kill five Pakistani soldiers: Officials
Miranshah (Pakistan): Taliban militants
launched an attack on a military convoy in Pakistan`s
northwestern tribal belt on Sunday, killing five soldiers and
wounding three others, security officials said.
The convoy came under attack near Razmak town, more than
50 kilometres (31 miles) south of Miranshah, the main town in
the North Waziristan tribal district along the Afghan border,
"The convoy was moving from one area to another when
Taliban militants attacked it, killing five soldiers and
wounding three others," a security official in Peshawar said.
Another security official in Miranshah confirmed the
incident, saying militants were armed with rockets and
"They also hurled grenades in the attack," the official
Troops retaliated immediately with small and heavy
weapons but there was no report of Taliban casualties, he
North Waziristan is the main target of US drone strikes
and the most notorious bastion of Afghan Taliban and
al Qaeda-linked fighters in Pakistan`s semi-autonomous tribal
Washington has called the northwest region the global
headquarters of al Qaeda and US officials are increasing
pressure on Islamabad to launch an all-out military offensive
in North Waziristan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed