Taliban leader behind `Prince Harry` base attack held: NATO
Kabul: The NATO has reportedly arrested a Taliban leader on Tuesday, who was wanted for an unprecedented attack on a major military base in southern Afghanistan that destroyed six U.S. fighter jets and killed two US Marines.
The US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said troops detained the suspect and two other suspected insurgents in the Nad Ali district of Helmand province, where the giant Camp Bastion is located, The Dawn reports.
"The Taliban leader was successfully taken into custody by the security force following joint efforts by Afghan and coalition forces to track down the Taliban insurgents responsible for the Camp Bastion attack," ISAF said.
The military said it believed the suspect had provided support to those who stormed the base late Friday, but did not elaborate further.
ISAF said it is still investigating how 15 Taliban commandos, armed with suicide vests, guns and rockets and wearing U.S. uniforms, breached the perimeter wall of Camp Bastion, one of the most heavily guarded bases in the country.
The third in line to the British throne, Prince Harry, who is deployed to the base, was moved under guard to a secure location during the attack, Britain``s defence minister said.
The prince was about two kilometres away with other Apache crew members when the base was attacked, but was not in danger, according to Defence Minister Philip Hammond.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video