Taliban leader killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: A Taliban leader has been killed in an operation in Afghanistan`s Kandahar province, the US-led NATO coalition forces said Saturday.
Mullah Abdul Ghafar Akhund, who was killed Thursday, is believed to have organised numerous Improvised Explosive Device attacks. He coordinated the movement of weapons and ammunition for use against security forces in the province, 450 km from Kabul, Xinhua reported.
"During the operation, the security force positively identified Abdul and other militants engaging in insurgent activity in an isolated area away from civilians," the coalition forces said in a statement.
"The security force conducted a precision airstrike, killing Abdul and two additional insurgents," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015