Taliban leader killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: A Taliban leader has been killed in an operation in Afghanistan`s Kandahar province, the US-led NATO coalition forces said Saturday.
Mullah Abdul Ghafar Akhund, who was killed Thursday, is believed to have organised numerous Improvised Explosive Device attacks. He coordinated the movement of weapons and ammunition for use against security forces in the province, 450 km from Kabul, Xinhua reported.
"During the operation, the security force positively identified Abdul and other militants engaging in insurgent activity in an isolated area away from civilians," the coalition forces said in a statement.
"The security force conducted a precision airstrike, killing Abdul and two additional insurgents," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video