Taliban leader who downed US chopper held
Kabul: A Taliban leader responsible for shooting down a US helicopter that killed two US servicemen in Afghanistan earlier this month has been arrested by the NATO-led coalition troops, a statement said Sunday.
"An Afghan and coalition security force today (Sunday) arrested the Taliban leader responsible for the death of two American service members following a Sep 5 helicopter crash in eastern Afghanistan," Xinhua quoted a NATO-led ISAF statement as saying.
No civilians were harmed during the operation, the statement said.
The Taliban leader - who was not named - and his insurgent cell coordinated the attack that downed an OH-58 Kiowa helicopter, killing both service members onboard, it said.
Up to 10 NATO and US helicopters have gone down this year, leaving around three dozen soldiers and eight Afghans dead.
The Taliban did not comment on the arrest of the leader.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed