Taliban militants infiltrate in Pak, kill soldier
Islamabad: Taliban militants from
Afghanistan launched yet another cross-border raid into
Pakistan, attacking a check post and killing a Pakistani
soldier on Monday, while four children were injured by rockets
that tribesmen said were fired from Afghan territory.
Reports said that over 100 Afghan Taliban attacked a
paramilitary check post in Kitkot area of Bajaur tribal region
early this morning, killing a soldier and injuring another.
Several attackers were killed when troops at the post
Chief military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas confirmed
the attack on the post located almost three kilometres from
the border with Afghanistan.
Since Bajaur Agency had been cleared of militants by
the army, the attack was launched "from the other side", he
told the media.
In a separate incident in North Waziristan tribal
region, four children were injured when rockets fired from
Afghan territory landed on homes, local tribesmen said.
The injured were taken to the main hospital in
Miranshah, the headquarters of North Waziristan.
One child was in critical condition, doctors said.
Tribesmen said scores of rockets landed in Bang Dar
border village and some hit houses.
It could not immediately be ascertained whether NATO
or Afghan forces fired the rockets.
Today`s incidents are expected to add to growing
tensions between Pakistan and Afghanistan, observers said.
Officials of the two countries have traded angry
charges about shelling in each other`s territory over the past
few days, triggering a diplomatic row.
The governments of both countries summoned ambassadors
to the foreign ministries to lodge formal protests.
Islamabad says armed militants from Afghanistan
entered Pakistani areas and launched five attacks in the span
of a month on border checkpoints and villages, killing nearly
40 soldiers and injuring 80 others.
Afghan authorities say Pakistani forces have fired
hundreds of rockets and artillery shells into Afghanistan`s
eastern Kunar and Nangrahar provinces, killing dozens of
people, including women and children.
Tension along the border has increased at a time
when Pakistan and Afghanistan have formed a joint peace and
reconciliation commission to work jointly to bring the Afghan
Taliban to the negotiating table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi