Taliban militants kill 16 Afghan soldiers
Faizabad: Anti-government militants ambushed and killed over a dozen soldiers of the national army in Afghanistan`s Badakhshan province, 315 km northeast of Kabul, a local official confirmed on Wednesday.
"The militants raided a convoy of the national army in Wardoj district on Monday leaving 16 soldiers dead and captured seven others," District Governor Dawlat Mohammad told Xinhua.
Those involved in the deadly ambush, included Taliban insurgents, militants loyal to the radical Islamic party the Hizb-e-Islami and drug traffickers, he said.
Spokesman of Badakhshan provincial administration Abdul Marouf Rasikh in talks with Xinhua confirmed the deadly incident, saying the villagers received the 16 dead bodies and the captured ones from militants on Tuesday and handed them over to the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday