Taliban militants kill 16 Afghan soldiers
Faizabad: Anti-government militants ambushed and killed over a dozen soldiers of the national army in Afghanistan`s Badakhshan province, 315 km northeast of Kabul, a local official confirmed on Wednesday.
"The militants raided a convoy of the national army in Wardoj district on Monday leaving 16 soldiers dead and captured seven others," District Governor Dawlat Mohammad told Xinhua.
Those involved in the deadly ambush, included Taliban insurgents, militants loyal to the radical Islamic party the Hizb-e-Islami and drug traffickers, he said.
Spokesman of Badakhshan provincial administration Abdul Marouf Rasikh in talks with Xinhua confirmed the deadly incident, saying the villagers received the 16 dead bodies and the captured ones from militants on Tuesday and handed them over to the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list