Taliban militants kill 16 Afghan soldiers
Faizabad: Anti-government militants ambushed and killed over a dozen soldiers of the national army in Afghanistan`s Badakhshan province, 315 km northeast of Kabul, a local official confirmed on Wednesday.
"The militants raided a convoy of the national army in Wardoj district on Monday leaving 16 soldiers dead and captured seven others," District Governor Dawlat Mohammad told Xinhua.
Those involved in the deadly ambush, included Taliban insurgents, militants loyal to the radical Islamic party the Hizb-e-Islami and drug traffickers, he said.
Spokesman of Badakhshan provincial administration Abdul Marouf Rasikh in talks with Xinhua confirmed the deadly incident, saying the villagers received the 16 dead bodies and the captured ones from militants on Tuesday and handed them over to the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot