Taliban militants planning Muharram attacks held
Lahore: Pakistani police have arrested five alleged members of the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan who were planning to carry out attacks in Punjab province during the Islamic holy month of Muharram.
Punjab Police chief Haji Habibur Rehman said police in Multan district arrested the terrorists linked to a Taliban faction led by Qari Yasin during a recent operation.
He said the faction based at Miranshah in North Waziristan was involved in several terror attacks in Punjab and other parts of the country.
The arrested men were identified as Imtiaz Nazir, Muhammad Ramzan, Muhammad Imran, Amir Moavia and Habib.
They all belong to Dera Ismail Khan.
Two Kalashnikovs, three 30-bore pistols and 105 bullets were recovered from their possession.
The police chief said Abdul Ghaffar alias Qari Saifullah, a key commander of this faction, was killed in a shootout with police in Dera Ghazi Khan on August 1.
He too was wanted by Punjab Police for several banks robberies and terror attacks.
The third key member of this group was Imran Gandapur of Dera Ismail Khan and he was in-charge of terror activities in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
He killed a police constable before he was shot dead with his accomplices during a gun battle with the police.
Following the killing of Gandapur, Iqbal Rashid alias Rashu had become operational in-charge of Qari Yasin faction.
To take revenge for the killing of Gandapur, Rashu had planned killings of security personnel of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
Rashu is the main accused who had masterminded a suicide attack on the police chief of Dera Ismail Khan district, the killings of several police constables, an attack on members of the Shia community and recent terror attacks in Punjab.
Officials further said the arrested men were involved in a recent attack on Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa prison officials who were being trained in Lahore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark