‘Taliban on the run but US not declaring victory’
Washington: The US is not declaring victory
against Taliban in Afghanistan though the insurgents are on
the run across the war ravaged country, a top American
commander said Wednesday.
Reacting to the killing of 30 American soldiers in a
Taliban attack, General John Allen, commander of US and NATO
forces in Afghanistan, said it is too early to declare victory
as the incidents like the helicopter crash is reflective of
the dangers that lies ahead there.
"All across Afghanistan the insurgents are losing.
They`re losing territory, they`re losing leadership, they`re
losing weapons and supplies, they`re losing public support,
and across Afghanistan more and more of the insurgents are
losing resolve and the will to fight, and they face relentless
pressure from coalition and, increasingly, Afghan forces,"
"We`re not declaring victory, certainly."
The Taliban had brought down the US Chinook helicopter on
Friday last week, in a major strike that left 30 US soldiers,
including 22 Navy SEALs dead, besides Afghan soldiers.
We realise that there are going to be long days ahead
and some pretty heavy lifts, but there are indicators that
lead us to believe that we are moving clearly in the direction
of achieving our goals," Allen told Pentagon correspondents in
a video news conference from Afghanistan.
Observing that the progress in Afghanistan is visible, he
said last month, the US began the process of transitioning
security responsibility to Afghan government and Afghan
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt