Taliban, Qaeda see West as common foe in Afghanistan: Ex-ISI chief
Brussels: Former director-general of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), General Ehsanul Haq, said on Wednesday that the Taliban and al Qaeda are united against the West, which they see as a common foe in Afghanistan.
Speaking on the sidelines of an East-West Institute think tank conference, General Ehsan was quoted by the Daily Times, as saying that both groups had different agenda but were held together by the presence in Afghanistan of a “common enemy” – foreign troops.
“While they have a common enemy they will always be together. When they are not confronted with a common enemy, naturally their own agendas will come to the fore,” he said.
“I think I see there is a possibility in the future (of separating the groups),” he told a foreign news agency.
General Ehsan, however, played down the significance of US President Barack Obama’s statement that US forces would start moves to withdraw gradually in July 2011, subject to conditions on the ground.
“Obama has indicated that (intention) in a broader sense, but various other steps will reinforce or negate what perception is formed of the intent that has been expressed,” he said.
“There are many steps to indicate whether they are going towards that objective,” he said.
He declined to elaborate.
He also said splitting the two allies would be difficult, but there were distinct divergences in the two groups’ aims.
“In my view there is a clear difference between al Qaeda and the Taliban. One has an international agenda, the other is fighting in a national context with grievances in Afghanistan.”
Ehsan led the Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate from 2001 to 2004 and finished his career as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!