Taliban say not behind Karachi suicide blast
Karachi: The Taliban have disassociated
themselves from a militant commander`s claim that the group
was behind the suicide attack on a Muharram procession of
Pakistani Shia Muslims here that killed 43 people.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Azam Tariq said his
group was not behind the suicide bombing of the procession in
Karachi on December 28.
Speaking from an undisclosed location, Tariq told
reporters yesterday that militant commander Asmatullah Shaheen
may have accepted responsibility for the attack on behalf of
his own faction.
The central leadership of the Tehrik-e-Taliban had
nothing to do with Shaheen`s claim or the attack, Tariq said.
He said the Tehrik-e-Taliban had not carried out the
attack as it has nothing to do with sectarian activities.
Shaheen had not consulted the Tehrik-e-Taliban`s central
leadership before claiming responsibility for the attack and
he would be "interrogated" in this regard, Tariq said.
On Wednesday, Shaheen, a little-known militant commander,
had called reporters in Peshawar and claimed responsibility
for the attack that killed 43 people.
He had also warned that his men would carry out more such
strikes in the next 10 days.
Shaheen had said he was claiming responsibility for the
attack as it had been assigned to his faction by
Tehrik-e-Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud and Qari Hussain, the
trainer of suicide bombers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket