Taliban suffers another blow as top commander captured
New York: Taliban appears to be nearing
collapse as in another blow to the group, Pakistani
authorities have captured Mulla Abdul Kabir, a member of the
Quetta shura and the shadow governor of Afghanistan`s eastern
Kabir, a member of the Taliban`s inner council was
captured in Naushera area of Pakistan`s restive northwest in
the last few days and is the second member of the Quetta shura
to be arrested in recent weeks, New York Times reported.
His capture comes close on the heels of nabbing of
Taliban`s number two Mulla Abdul Ghani Barader from Karachi
and arrest of two other top commanders of the group, Mulla
Abdul Salam, former shadow governor of Kunduz and Mulla
Mohammed, shadow governor of Baghlan province.
Times said, the capture of Mulla Kabir appeared to be
strictly Pakistani operation and Islamabad had kept his arrest
a closely guarded secret even from their American allies.
Mulla Kabir is a long time associate of Taliban supremo Mulla
Omar. He was the governor of Nangahar province during the
Taliban rule from 1996 to 2001 and military commander of
eastern provinces of Kunar, Nangahar, Nuristan and Laghman.
The Quetta shura, considered to be the supreme
decision-making body of the Taliban is reported to have 20
members with an inner council of nine commanders. A number of
these have been killed in battles over the last two years.
New York Times said, along with Kabir another top rung
Taliban leader Mulla Mohd Yunis was also nabbed. He was the
shadow governor of Zabul province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician