Taliban suicide attack on militant commander in Pakistan, 17 killed
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: A suicide bombing in northwestern Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has killed at least 17 militants, reports said Thursday.
The attack targeted the compound of militant commander Nabi Hanfi, who was fighting a branch of Pakistan Taliban, the BBC reported.
Hanafi was not present at the time of the attack.
Hanfi was the commander of the Hangu chapter of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) before switching sides and joining the government`s counter-insurgency efforts, The Express Tribune said.
Nabi had earlier said that his group was on TTP`s hit list since the latter wanted to seize control of Hangu, Kohat, Orakzai and parts of the Kurram Agency.
The militant group Tehrik-i-Taliban have claimed the attack that took place in remote mountainous province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the report added.
Authorities said, a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden vehicle into the compound of the militant chief.
Pakistan’s northwest region has witnesses increasing number of attacks of late, with Peshawar, the main city of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, being targeted time and again by Taliban insurgents.
With PTI inputs
The Taliban reject Pakistan`s constitutuion and want Army removed from tribal regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day