Taliban suicide bombing hits joint US-Afghan base
Kabul: A suicide bombing near a joint NATO-Afghan base in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday morning injured many Afghan troops, officials said.
The attack was claimed by Taliban as the terror outfit’s spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed that insurgents had breached the outpost`s perimeter defenses.
It was a strong blast as the houses situated 2 miles away had their windows smashed. The blast that took place in Paktiya province`s Zurmat district, however, killed no one, , said provincial government spokesman Rohullah Samon.
He said it appeared the bomber detonated his car before reaching the actual gate of the camp. Many of the injured soldiers were in rooms inside the base that collapsed from the force of the explosion, Samon added.
There were no casualties among international forces at Combat Outpost Zurmat, said NATO forces spokesman Maj. Adam Wojack. He said the bombing was followed by indirect fire by mortars or rockets aimed at the base.
Wojack said he had no reports of attackers on foot and that the outpost was secured soon after the blast.
Taliban seem to be gradually stepping up the offensive by launching more frequent attacks as the international coalition forces continue to leave Afghanistan, before a The attack appeared to be in keeping with a gradual switch in Taliban tactics to increasingly target Afghan security forces as the international coalition continues the drawdown until a planned withdrawal of combat troops in 2014.
Till now, this year, Afghan National Security Forces have witnessed a total of 553 casualties, according to ISAF.
According to latest NATO statistics, the Afghan army has grown to 184,676 soldiers, and the country`s police force now numbers 146,339 officers. The security forces are just short of the planned 352,000 troops.
NATO still has 104,000 troops — 68,000 of them Americans — in Afghanistan, down from nearly 140,000 last year.
However, the number of Afghans leaving the army has remained stubbornly high, with 27 percent of troops either deserting or not re-enlisting despite the higher salaries offered. And though the number of volunteers is still high, the army needs to train about 50,000 recruits each year just to compensate for the loss.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan