Kandahar: A Taliban suicide squad armed
with bombs and rockets attacked the largest US military base
in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday, injuring one NATO soldier and
An initial rocket attack on Kandahar airfield, which left
the three wounded, was followed by a suicide bomb attack that
sparked an hour-long gun battle, officials said.
Two suicide bombers detonated explosives strapped to their
bodies outside the base perimeter, aiming to clear the
entrance for the rest of the group to breach the wire,
Kandahar provincial spokesman Zalmai Ayobi told AFP.
"Two of them blew themselves up and the other four were
killed in the subsequent firefight," he said.
All six attackers wore suicide vests and rode in a
tractor, which got stuck in mud before they had reached their
target, said the base commander, General Gordon Moulds, in a
"They then blew up their tractor and tried to approach the
airfield on foot and fired two rockets on the airport," said
Moulds, who also confirmed that one NATO soldier had been
injured by a rocket.
NATO and Ayobi said the militants failed to enter the
base, which was immediately locked-down and many civilian
workers sent home, while six helicopters flew low overhead.
Taliban spokesman Yousuf Ahmadi claimed responsibility for