Taliban take hostages in police station in Pak
Bannu: In the latest attack on security forces, five Taliban militants attacked the Old City Police Station of Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa on Monday morning, police said.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan militant group have claimed responsibility for the attack.
Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan told reporters in the northwest on phone that his group`s fighters, including suicide bombers, had taken part in the attack.
A group of five attackers, all wearing burqas, stormed the police station at around 9.45 am after lobbing several grenades.
Four Taliban fighters were killed and another captured following a heavy exchange of fire.
At least eight policemen taken hostage by the militants were freed at the end of the three-hour siege.
Around 10 security personnel were injured. Initial reports had said a policeman was killed but officials later clarified that he was seriously injured.
Security forces, including army soldiers, cordoned off the area and surrounded the building. Curfew was imposed in Bannu.
The building stormed by the militants is used by the intelligence wing of the local police force.
Today`s assault was the latest in a string of deadly attacks by the Taliban on security forces. Militants killed eight security personnel in an attack on an army camp near Gujrat and 10 policemen in a raid in Lahore last week.
Bannu city is located close to the restive North Waziristan tribal region and militants have carried out several audacious attacks in the area.
In April, Pakistani Taliban fighters broke into the central prison in Bannu and freed close to 400 prisoners, including 20 who were considered dangerous insurgents.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145