Taliban take hostages in police station in Pak
Bannu: In the latest attack on security forces, five Taliban militants attacked the Old City Police Station of Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa on Monday morning, police said.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan militant group have claimed responsibility for the attack.
Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan told reporters in the northwest on phone that his group`s fighters, including suicide bombers, had taken part in the attack.
A group of five attackers, all wearing burqas, stormed the police station at around 9.45 am after lobbing several grenades.
Four Taliban fighters were killed and another captured following a heavy exchange of fire.
At least eight policemen taken hostage by the militants were freed at the end of the three-hour siege.
Around 10 security personnel were injured. Initial reports had said a policeman was killed but officials later clarified that he was seriously injured.
Security forces, including army soldiers, cordoned off the area and surrounded the building. Curfew was imposed in Bannu.
The building stormed by the militants is used by the intelligence wing of the local police force.
Today`s assault was the latest in a string of deadly attacks by the Taliban on security forces. Militants killed eight security personnel in an attack on an army camp near Gujrat and 10 policemen in a raid in Lahore last week.
Bannu city is located close to the restive North Waziristan tribal region and militants have carried out several audacious attacks in the area.
In April, Pakistani Taliban fighters broke into the central prison in Bannu and freed close to 400 prisoners, including 20 who were considered dangerous insurgents.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview