Taliban take hostages in police station in Pak
Bannu: In the latest attack on security forces, five Taliban militants attacked the Old City Police Station of Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa on Monday morning, police said.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan militant group have claimed responsibility for the attack.
Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan told reporters in the northwest on phone that his group`s fighters, including suicide bombers, had taken part in the attack.
A group of five attackers, all wearing burqas, stormed the police station at around 9.45 am after lobbing several grenades.
Four Taliban fighters were killed and another captured following a heavy exchange of fire.
At least eight policemen taken hostage by the militants were freed at the end of the three-hour siege.
Around 10 security personnel were injured. Initial reports had said a policeman was killed but officials later clarified that he was seriously injured.
Security forces, including army soldiers, cordoned off the area and surrounded the building. Curfew was imposed in Bannu.
The building stormed by the militants is used by the intelligence wing of the local police force.
Today`s assault was the latest in a string of deadly attacks by the Taliban on security forces. Militants killed eight security personnel in an attack on an army camp near Gujrat and 10 policemen in a raid in Lahore last week.
Bannu city is located close to the restive North Waziristan tribal region and militants have carried out several audacious attacks in the area.
In April, Pakistani Taliban fighters broke into the central prison in Bannu and freed close to 400 prisoners, including 20 who were considered dangerous insurgents.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues