Taliban targeting civilians to make way back: Pak Army
Rawalpindi: The Pakistan Army has said that Friday’s suicide attack in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas’ (FATA) Mohmand Agency in which at least 70 people were killed and over 100 injured showcases the brutal face of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and also confirmed that it is targeting innocent civilians.
“The aim of the terrorists is to spread fear and despair,” The News quoted Army spokesperson Major General Athar Abbas, as saying.
Abbas said that after being flushed out of Bajaur and Mohmand, the militants were trying to force their way back into the region again by carrying out such terror strikes.
“Now they are engaged in launching attacks in our areas by making their way back in,” he said.
A pair of suicide bombers had blown themselves up in front of the office of Assistant Political Agent in Yakka Ghund area of Mohmand Agency resulting in massive casualties.
The bombers first tried to enter the office, and when they were stopped by security officials they triggered the blast where wheelchairs and other relief goods were being distributed among the internally displaced persons (IDPs).
The intensity of the blast was so powerful that it also damaged around 70 shops and a portion of the adjoining prison wall.
Media reports said that about 28 prisoners had also escaped from the jail through the damaged wall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead