Taliban threaten to kill Pakistani dam workers
Islamabad: The Pakistani Taliban Tuesday threatened to kill eight kidnapped employees of a dam project by Dec 3 if the government failed to meet the terror outfit`s demands, the Dawn reported.
The kidnapped people worked at the Gomal Zam Dam hydro-electric power and irrigation project in South Waziristan region. They are two engineers, four security personnel and two staffers.
A 46-minute video, recorded Nov 23 and released Tuesday, showed the kidnapped men seeking the government`s help and relaying the militants` message. It gave the government six days to react.
One of the kidnapped engineers, Shahid Ali Khan, is seen speaking in the video which has the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan`s name written in the background.
It also shows gun-toting men whose faces cannot be seen.
The eight officials were kidnapped from Tank-Wana road while they were on their way from the dam to Dera Ismail Khan for Eid-ul-Fitr holidays on Aug 15.
The militants` demands, however, remain unknown, the Dawn said.
Security forces have recovered the vehicle of the kidnapped workers from Neeli Kach area of South Waziristan.
The local administration has also held a number of jirgas (or tribal council meetings) to discuss the means for the safe rescue of the eight men.
While no concrete demands were put forward in the video by the militants, sources told the daily the Taliban want release of prisoners and ransom money of more than Rs.100 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!