Taliban urged to sever ties with al Qaeda
Islamabad: Pakistan and Afghanistan have called on the Taliban to sever all links with al Qaeda.
In a joint statement late Wednesday, Pakistan and the visiting Afghan High Peace Council also appealed to the Taliban to participate in the reconciliation process.
Council`s chairman Salahuddin Rabbani met with President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Kayani during his three-day visit.
"In support of peace and reconciliation process and in response to the requests of the council, a number of Taliban detainees are being released," the statement said.
Pakistan, Afghanistan and the US will facilitate safe passage to potential negotiators to advance the reconciliation process, Xinhua quoted it as saying.
Pakistan and the Afghan High Peace Council agreed to have more frequent contacts to enhance peace and stability in Afghanistan. The visitors concluded their tour on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday