Taliban vow to keep targeting govt officials
Kabul: A Taliban spokesman says the group will keep targeting government employees and other Afghans with links to the US-led coalition despite a warning from the United Nations that such killings may violate international law.
Zabiullah Mujahid says in an email to media today that the Taliban reject a report earlier this week by the UN Mission in Afghanistan accusing them of targeting civilians and blaming the insurgency for the overwhelming majority of deaths in the war.
Mujahid says the Taliban do not consider their targets to be civilians.
The UN report found that 2,754 Afghan civilians were killed in 2012, a 12 per cent decrease from 3,131 in the same period a year earlier. It was the first time in six years that the civilian death toll dropped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH