Taliban wanted to enter India after overrunning Pak: Malik
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Interior Minister
Rehman Malik has said that had the Taliban militants overrun
his country, their next targets would have been India and
"India and Bangladesh would have been next if the
Taliban had taken over Pakistan," Malik told reporters while
briefing them on the outcome of the meeting of SAARC Interior
Ministers here yesterday.
Pakistani Taliban last year warned that it would
dispatch terrorists to fight India, once an Islamic state had
been created in Pakistan.
"We want an Islamic state (in Pakistan). If we get
that, then we will go to the borders and help fight the
Indians," Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan`s slain chief Hakimullah
Mehsud had warned in footage aired by Britain`s Sky News
channel in October last year.
At the SAARC briefing, Malik contended that Pakistan`s
actions against the Taliban had helped improve regional
Pakistan`s actions against the Taliban will continue
till they are eradicated, he added.
Under US pressure, Pakistan launched a military
offensive in May last year against militants and pushed them
out of the Taliban bastion of Swat.
The militants then conquered neighbouring districts,
including one just 100 km northwest of Islamabad. The brazen
Taliban advances set alarm bells ringing in many world
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid