Talks only if BNP recognises Bangladesh govt: Awami League
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s ruling Awami League on Saturday ruled out midterm polls and said a political dialogue with the main opposition BNP could be held only if it recognises the government led by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Awami League leader Mahbubul Alam Hanif ruled out the possibility of a midterm election and said the government was constitutionally elected for a five-year term.
Hanif claimed foreign organisations which had opposed the government in earlier surveys were now stating in their fresh polls that 85 per cent people endorsed the steps taken by the government to maintain law and order and ensure continued economic development.
"So, the government has no plan to hold a midterm election to test its popularity," he told journalists after meeting Awami League leaders in Kurigram district.
On the issue of initiating a dialogue with the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, Hanif said, "A dialogue can be held with it only if it comes up with a proposal recognising the validity of the government. Otherwise, no dialogue will be held."
Hanif was quoted by bdnews24 portal as saying that though the BNP did not want to accept the government, the party was doing everything possible to win upcoming elections to local bodies.
The Awami League won the controversial January 5 general election, which was boycotted by the BNP and its ally, the fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami. Since then, the BNP has refused to recognise the government and called for fresh polls.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed