Talks with Haqqani network possible: US
Islamabad: US Ambassador to Pakistan Richard Olson has said that it is possible to initiate talks with al Qaeda-linked terror outfit Haqqani network.
Olson, during an interview with the BBC, also expressed the strong possibility that the US` latest reconciliation policy could be applied to all extremist groups, and as such the Haqqani network also stood a chance to benefit, reports The News.
However, regarding the Pakistani chapter of the Haqqani network, he said that taking any further action against the ``most bothersome`` Haqqani network was the responsibility of Pakistan`s government.
Olson also acknowledged the sacrifices rendered by Pakistan in its 10-year war against terrorism. He expressed deep gratitude and appreciation of Pakistan`s sacrifices, which had also suffered quite a blow to country`s internal infrastructure and developmental progress.
"We understand that Pakistan faces challenges similar to America in fight against terrorism, besides the challenge of terrorism. Tackling it was the foremost duty of government and masses of Pakistan," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!