Talks with Haqqani network possible: US
Islamabad: US Ambassador to Pakistan Richard Olson has said that it is possible to initiate talks with al Qaeda-linked terror outfit Haqqani network.
Olson, during an interview with the BBC, also expressed the strong possibility that the US` latest reconciliation policy could be applied to all extremist groups, and as such the Haqqani network also stood a chance to benefit, reports The News.
However, regarding the Pakistani chapter of the Haqqani network, he said that taking any further action against the ``most bothersome`` Haqqani network was the responsibility of Pakistan`s government.
Olson also acknowledged the sacrifices rendered by Pakistan in its 10-year war against terrorism. He expressed deep gratitude and appreciation of Pakistan`s sacrifices, which had also suffered quite a blow to country`s internal infrastructure and developmental progress.
"We understand that Pakistan faces challenges similar to America in fight against terrorism, besides the challenge of terrorism. Tackling it was the foremost duty of government and masses of Pakistan," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened