Talks with India a ‘positive step’: Qureshi
Brussels: India`s decision to resume talks with Pakistan was a "positive step", said Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, but he added that the outcome of the talks depends on the Indian response.
"We are ready for meaningful engagement with India," he told a press conference Thursday in Brussels at the sidelines of an international security conference, EuAsiaNews reported.
"We would want to discuss all issues that have strained our relations over the years," said Qureshi, adding: "If we do not recognise those issues then the dialogue will not be meaningful".
"It depends on the kind of response and mindset of India," he said. "If they are open minded, if they are constructive then this engagement would lead to other favourable developments, but if they have their mind shut I do not see a meaningful forward movement."
Qureshi said he is sending the Pakistani foreign secretary to New Delhi Feb 25 for the talks.
He said the water issue was a "very sensitive issue" for Pakistan and he intends to raise the matter with India very soon.
Qureshi was the keynote speaker at the seventh worldwide security conference organised by the EastWest Institute in the Belgian capital Thursday.
He held talks with EU and NATO officials during his three-day visit to Brussels and also inaugurated a two-day conference of Pakistani ambassadors to Europe with the aim to enhance Pakistan-EU cooperation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report