Tamil newspaper office attacked in Sri Lanka
Colombo: An office of a Tamil newspaper was attacked in the northern Sri Lanka Wednesday, police said.
Police said that the Uthayan newspaper distribution office in Kilinochchi town, an area which was once under rebel control, was attacked by an unidentified group, reported Xinhua.
At least three people were injured during the attack while the building and a vehicle parked outside were also damaged.
Staff at the newspaper said that when the newspapers to be distributed were about to be unloaded at the Kilinochchi office from a mini lorry, the unidentified group approached the vehicle and attacked it with poles.
They then assaulted the staff and went inside the Uthayan office and vandalised office property.
Two employees of the newspaper were admitted to hospital while a third person sustained minor injuries. A complaint has been lodged with the Kilinochchi police.
The Tamil newspaper was the target of several attacks in recent times while distributors and journalists of the newspaper have also faced threats and intimidation.
In January this year a man delivering Uthayan newspaper in the northern town of Jaffna was attacked and his motorbike as well as a stack of newspapers were set on fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000