Tamil newspaper office attacked in Sri Lanka
Colombo: An office of a Tamil newspaper was attacked in the northern Sri Lanka Wednesday, police said.
Police said that the Uthayan newspaper distribution office in Kilinochchi town, an area which was once under rebel control, was attacked by an unidentified group, reported Xinhua.
At least three people were injured during the attack while the building and a vehicle parked outside were also damaged.
Staff at the newspaper said that when the newspapers to be distributed were about to be unloaded at the Kilinochchi office from a mini lorry, the unidentified group approached the vehicle and attacked it with poles.
They then assaulted the staff and went inside the Uthayan office and vandalised office property.
Two employees of the newspaper were admitted to hospital while a third person sustained minor injuries. A complaint has been lodged with the Kilinochchi police.
The Tamil newspaper was the target of several attacks in recent times while distributors and journalists of the newspaper have also faced threats and intimidation.
In January this year a man delivering Uthayan newspaper in the northern town of Jaffna was attacked and his motorbike as well as a stack of newspapers were set on fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part III
- I was told to slim down for 'Pearl Harbor': Kate Beckinsale
- Xiaomi launching Redmi 3A with 4,000mAh battery?
- Houston shooting: Two shot dead including suspect, six left wounded
- Amitabh Bachchan proud of hosting girl child segment at government's gala
- LGBT community won't be free till section 377 exists: Celina Jaitley