Tamil newspaper office attacked in Sri Lanka
Colombo: An office of a Tamil newspaper was attacked in the northern Sri Lanka Wednesday, police said.
Police said that the Uthayan newspaper distribution office in Kilinochchi town, an area which was once under rebel control, was attacked by an unidentified group, reported Xinhua.
At least three people were injured during the attack while the building and a vehicle parked outside were also damaged.
Staff at the newspaper said that when the newspapers to be distributed were about to be unloaded at the Kilinochchi office from a mini lorry, the unidentified group approached the vehicle and attacked it with poles.
They then assaulted the staff and went inside the Uthayan office and vandalised office property.
Two employees of the newspaper were admitted to hospital while a third person sustained minor injuries. A complaint has been lodged with the Kilinochchi police.
The Tamil newspaper was the target of several attacks in recent times while distributors and journalists of the newspaper have also faced threats and intimidation.
In January this year a man delivering Uthayan newspaper in the northern town of Jaffna was attacked and his motorbike as well as a stack of newspapers were set on fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!