Tamil Tiger held at Sri Lankan airport
Colombo: Sri Lankan police Wednesday said they have arrested a wanted Tamil Tiger rebel as he attempted to return to the island nation from Qatar, Xinhua reported.
Police spokesman Ajith Rohana said the Tamil Tiger rebel - identified as Sinathamby Pathmanathan - had fled the country during the civil war.
He was arrested in the island`s only international airport just outside Colombo after arriving from Qatar.
Pathmanathan had an arrest warrant against his name from a court in the eastern town of Batticaloa but had been evading arrest over his involvement in several terrorist activities.
Police said he was involved in planting explosives on electricity transformers in Batticaloa during the conflict.
Last year, his wife had filed a complaint with the police saying he was missing. It gave the impression he may have been abducted, police said.
He is now being questioned by police and will be presented in court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive