Tamil Tiger held at Sri Lankan airport
Colombo: Sri Lankan police Wednesday said they have arrested a wanted Tamil Tiger rebel as he attempted to return to the island nation from Qatar, Xinhua reported.
Police spokesman Ajith Rohana said the Tamil Tiger rebel - identified as Sinathamby Pathmanathan - had fled the country during the civil war.
He was arrested in the island`s only international airport just outside Colombo after arriving from Qatar.
Pathmanathan had an arrest warrant against his name from a court in the eastern town of Batticaloa but had been evading arrest over his involvement in several terrorist activities.
Police said he was involved in planting explosives on electricity transformers in Batticaloa during the conflict.
Last year, his wife had filed a complaint with the police saying he was missing. It gave the impression he may have been abducted, police said.
He is now being questioned by police and will be presented in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed