Tamil Tiger held at Sri Lankan airport
Colombo: Sri Lankan police Wednesday said they have arrested a wanted Tamil Tiger rebel as he attempted to return to the island nation from Qatar, Xinhua reported.
Police spokesman Ajith Rohana said the Tamil Tiger rebel - identified as Sinathamby Pathmanathan - had fled the country during the civil war.
He was arrested in the island`s only international airport just outside Colombo after arriving from Qatar.
Pathmanathan had an arrest warrant against his name from a court in the eastern town of Batticaloa but had been evading arrest over his involvement in several terrorist activities.
Police said he was involved in planting explosives on electricity transformers in Batticaloa during the conflict.
Last year, his wife had filed a complaint with the police saying he was missing. It gave the impression he may have been abducted, police said.
He is now being questioned by police and will be presented in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!