Tamil women soldiers recruited to Sri Lankan Army
Colombo: A batch of 95 Tamil women soldiers of the Sri Lanka Army held their passing out parade at Security Force Headquarters in the former LTTE stronghold of Kilinochchi in the north.
This was the first time the Army saw such a large group of Tamil women joining the organisation en bloc, although the Army has had a fair number of Tamil woman officers serving it ever since its founding, military officials said.
Speaking on the occasion on March 21, Brigadier R Ratnasingham said women officers were recruited to the Army to establish a good rapport and civil co-ordination between the Tamil community in the North and the Army.
Recruited to Sri Lanka Army Women`s Corps, these woman soldiers have completed a four month training at the Bharathipuram Army Training school in Killinochchi.
These women from Mullaithivu, Vavuniya, Kilinochchi and Mannar areas during their military training underwent IT training, Sinhala and English language learning, training for Civil-Military relations, reconciliation, the officials said.
They would be deployed to serve as civil affairs coordinators and clerks in the north shortly.
The army, since the end of the military conflict with the LTTE, has taken steps to diversify its cadre to represent the different ethnic communities in the island.
The army has been often dubbed as the Sinhala Army by Sri Lanka`s international critics.
The Tamil women from the conflict zones were part of the LTTE`s women`s wing who were in active service during the decades old conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan