Target killings take 1100 lives in Karachi
Karachi: Target killings in Pakistan`s financial capital Karachi continues unabated claiming 1100 lives so far with 129 deaths this month alone, said a report.
According to figures collected from the Citizens Police Liaison Committee (CPLC), police sources and media reports so far around 1100 target killings took place this year with 129 killed in July alone.
The number of people killed include common people, political and religious activists and security officials.
In some cases people were killed for not accepting extortion demands from extortionists.
52 policemen were also targeted this year.
Figures of those killed this year show a rising graph every month starting with January when 131 people were killed followed by 139 in Feb, 149 in March, 204 in April, 217 in May and 205 in June.
A police official said the figure quoted above were mostly of those cases where the killings were reported to the police.
"Some cases are not even reported, he said, adding that in July alone 20 traders were kidnapped.
In 2011, 1724 people were killed in violence in Karachi while in 2010 the figure stood at 1339.
"In many instances criminals elements are openly backed by political parties and even if they are arrested they are released after a few days," a reporter from a leading newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues