Taseer killing: Rally as court records testimony of witnesses
Lahore: A Pakistani anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of the police guard who assassinated Punjab Governor Salman Taseer on Saturday recorded the testimony of four witnesses, including a doctor and three policemen.
Judge Raja Ikhlaq Hussain conducted proceedings within the heavily guarded Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi for security reasons and recorded the statements of Muhammad Rashid, the doctor who conducted Taseer`s autopsy, assistant sub-inspectors Sardar Hussain and Muhammad Iftikhar and constable Abdul Rahim.
After recording the testimony of the witnesses, the judge adjourned the matter till March 05.
In the meantime, supporters of Police guard Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, who is charged with murdering Taseer, held a rally.
More than 250 demonstrators rallied outside the Adiyala prison, shouting "Long live Qadri, Release Qadri”.
Qadri was charged with terrorism and murder after he gunned down Taseer at Kohsar Market in Islamabad on January 04.
Qadri told investigators he was angered by Taseer`s opposition to the blasphemy law and his support for Asia Bibi, a Christian woman sentenced to death last year for allegedly insulting the Prophet Mohammed.
The court will record the statements of other witnesses during the next hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India