Taseer killing: Rally as court records testimony of witnesses
Lahore: A Pakistani anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of the police guard who assassinated Punjab Governor Salman Taseer on Saturday recorded the testimony of four witnesses, including a doctor and three policemen.
Judge Raja Ikhlaq Hussain conducted proceedings within the heavily guarded Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi for security reasons and recorded the statements of Muhammad Rashid, the doctor who conducted Taseer`s autopsy, assistant sub-inspectors Sardar Hussain and Muhammad Iftikhar and constable Abdul Rahim.
After recording the testimony of the witnesses, the judge adjourned the matter till March 05.
In the meantime, supporters of Police guard Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, who is charged with murdering Taseer, held a rally.
More than 250 demonstrators rallied outside the Adiyala prison, shouting "Long live Qadri, Release Qadri”.
Qadri was charged with terrorism and murder after he gunned down Taseer at Kohsar Market in Islamabad on January 04.
Qadri told investigators he was angered by Taseer`s opposition to the blasphemy law and his support for Asia Bibi, a Christian woman sentenced to death last year for allegedly insulting the Prophet Mohammed.
The court will record the statements of other witnesses during the next hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt