Teesta Water Treaty to be inked soon: Indian envoy
Dhaka: India and Bangladesh will soon ink
the crucial Teesta water treaty, said Rajeet Mitter, the
Indian High Commissioner here who called on President Zillur
Rahman on Thursday.
"The Teesta Water Sharing Treaty will be signed soon," a
Bangabhaban (presidential palace) spokesman quoted Mitter as
telling the Bangladeshi president.
The spokesman said the envoy told the president that an
"excellent relation now prevails between India and Bangladesh
and the ties would be further expanded in the coming days".
Mitter`s comments comes a week after Bangladesh Prime
Minister Sheikh Hasina, during a brief visit to the Tinbigha
corridor in Mekhliganj sub-division of Cooch Behar district,
expressed the hope that an amicable solution to the
distribution of Teesta river water between India and
Bangladesh would be found soon.
The expected signing of the treaty was cancelled during
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s landmark September tour to
Dhaka due to opposition from West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
The water of Teesta is crucial for Bangladesh, especially
during the lean period from December to March. Drastic fall in
water flow of Teesta during the lean season, especially in
February and March, seriously hampers irrigation in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez