Tell us 48 hrs before you step out: Pak police to Musharraf
Islamabad: Much to his annoyance, former President Pervez Musharraf has been asked to inform police and seek clearance two days before any movements in the Pakistani capital due to security threats, a media report said on Tuesday.
The request was sent to the 70-year-old former military ruler after he allegedly breached his security measures thrice.
Authorities also expressed their displeasure over the VVIP protocol given to Musharraf during his movements, the Dawn daily reported.
Musharraf was not pleased on learning of the police`s demands, the report said.
Quoting an unnamed officer, the daily reported that the former Army chief had moved about the city on a few occasions while ignoring security measures.
Citing one such instance, it said that Musharraf went from his farmhouse in Chak Shahzad to a hospital on Saturday night for dental treatment without informing police.
In view of these incidents, the official said Musharraf was asked to inform police two days before any movement. He said the former president was also asked to avoid unnecessary or unplanned movements.
He maintained there was no restriction on Musharraf`s movements within Islamabad and the step was taken for his security.
"Musharraf is not entitled to VIP protocol, but due to the threats he faces from militant outfits, strict security has been provided," the official said.
Roads are cleared and policemen deployed on routes, just as if he had been given VVIP protocol, the official said.
Since Musharraf returned to Pakistan from self-exile in March, he has faced several major cases, including one over the assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto. He has been granted bail in these cases but is barred from travelling out of the country.
He now faces trial by a special court on a charge of high treason for imposing emergency in 2007.
Musharraf was under house arrest for nearly six months before he was granted bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price