Terror attack foiled in Islamabad: Police
Islamabad: Police in the Pakistani capital
today claimed to have foiled a possible terrorist attack by
arresting two men with suicide jackets, grenades and pistols,
hours after a series of audacious assaults in the eastern city
The two suspected terrorists were arrested on the
outskirts of Islamabad at 9.15 pm last night while they were
trying to sneak into the city on motorcycles to hit their
targets, police said.
Another terrorist managed to escape with explosives. A
contingent of police and paramilitary troops cordoned off the
area and launched a search for him.
Besides the suicide jackets and grenades, police also
seized detonators and pellets from the arrested men. The men –
identified as Zain alias Mubashar Mehboob, 18, and Abdullah
alias Abdul Hafiz, 35 – are now being interrogated by the
Criminal Investigation Department. Zain was wearing a suicide
jacket when he was caught.
Inspector General of Police Syed Kaleem Imam said there
were reports that terrorists were trying to enter Islamabad to
hit targets. "We are alert and prepared to counter acts of
terrorism," he said.
Police stepped up the checking of vehicles and people at
dozens of check posts set up across Islamabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone