Terror attack shows Karachi is in danger: Report
Karachi: The bombing of Criminal Investigation Department (CID) police compound in Karachi earlier this month demonstrates that the port city is at grave risk, according to the classified conclusions of a report on the November 11 attack.
"The report expressed the fears of the existence of very high profile militants in Karachi and shows that the southern port city is in serious danger," a senior Ministry of Interior official told AKI on the condition of anonymity.
Pakistan`s Federal Investigation Agency on Saturday submitted the preliminary report on the Karachi bombing to the Interior Ministry.
In the attack, at least five militants with automatic rifles and a van containing 500 kg of explosives crossed into Karachi`s high-security Red Zone. At least 18 people were killed and 115 injured in the attack.
According to the report, the militants opened fire on the police guarding the premises of the CID office. The exchange of gunfire continued for 30 minutes before the van charged into the building.
The report mentioned it is suspected that the driver jumped out of the van before it exploded. The attackers were believed to have survived the blast. They also took away the arms and ammunition of the police and left in a vehicle waiting nearby.
"Whatever the case might be, the attack is a wake up call that Karachi is under siege by the militants," a senior CID official told AKI by telephone from Karachi.
They "use Karachi" as their base, he asserted, adding "the fact of the matter is that they have the ability to activate their cells whenever they want. In the tribal areas their hunting is quite easy but in a congested city like Karachi, spotting cells which are located in the slums and outskirts of the city and which are practically no-go areas, is next to impossible".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof