Terror attacks could negatively affect air traffic in Karachi
Karachi: Pakistan airline authorities fear that the terrorist attacks on Karachi airport terminal building could negatively effect the flow of international air traffic at the Jinnah international airport here.
Some unnamed officials in the Civil Aviation Authority and Pakistan International Airlines admitted that initial reaction to the terrorist attacks had not been very good.
"Some foreign airlines have already either suspended their flights into Karachi or are reviewing their present flight operations from different destinations to the Jinnah international airport," an official said.
A marketing head of a foreign airlines told PTI that their head office in Hong Kong had suspended two flights to Karachi this week.
"The flights come and go on Monday and Wednesday but they have been cancelled this week and a final decision will be taken this week on flight operations to Karachi," he said.
Ten terrorists and at least 26 security officials or civilians were killed in the deadly six hour long siege of the old airport terminal building on Monday.
One source in PIA pointed out that the second attack yesterday has made the things worst.
According to the Airport Security Force, two militants tried to break into the ASF base near the old airport but fled after strong retaliation from security forces.
"Whatever happened no one knows but what matters is that the international media reported the incident as another fresh terrorist attack at the airport and that has not helped our image," the official admitted.
Since 9/11 Karachi has already lost lot of air traffic due to concerns over the security situation in Pakistan with many foreign airlines winding up their regular services from Pakistan`s biggest city and financial hub.
"At the moment most flight operations come from airlines belonging to the middle east and traffic to these countries is the most from this airport," one flight operations person at the Jinnah airport told PTI.
"It remains to be seen how much this terrorist attack will have affected the air traffic but the indications are not good," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state