Terror attacks kill 16 in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: In a series of terror attacks targeting security forces, at least 16 persons, including six militants and three security personnel, were killed and over 20 injured in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Thursday.
A suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden car into a security check post in Hangu district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, killing seven persons, including security personnel, officials said.
The attacker targeted a check post manned by policemen and Frontier Corps personnel.
A dozen people were injured in the attack, police said.
The dead included two security personnel, a policeman and two passers-by, they said adding the toll could increase.
The injured were taken to nearby hospitals.
The blast created an eight-foot crater and the check post was destroyed.
Meanwhile, militants attacked Maryan police station in Bannu area of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province at 6:30 am, triggering a fierce gun battle that continued for about 90 minutes, killing six militants and injuring a policeman.
The attack was successfully thwarted and six militants killed, district police chief Nisar Tanoli told reporters.
Reports said several of the attackers blew themselves up while others were shot dead. Tanoli said a policeman was injured and the police station was slightly damaged.
He said the attackers appeared to be Uzbeks.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for both the terror attacks.
Taliban spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan told reporters by phone that suicide bombers were involved in the attack, which was launched to avenge the killings of militants who were in the custody of authorities.
Officials said the Taliban militants fired rockets before attempting to storm the police station.
Bannu, which lies between the settled area of Khyber- Pakhtunkhwa and the restive North Waziristan tribal region, has witnessed several militant attacks in recent years.
Three persons were killed and nine others injured when a vehicle carrying pro-government militia was targeted with an improvised explosive device in Orkazai tribal region, officials said.
Personnel from the Khasadar militia cordoned off the area and launched a search operation.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof