Terror attacks kill 16 in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: In a series of terror attacks targeting security forces, at least 16 persons, including six militants and three security personnel, were killed and over 20 injured in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Thursday.
A suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden car into a security check post in Hangu district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, killing seven persons, including security personnel, officials said.
The attacker targeted a check post manned by policemen and Frontier Corps personnel.
A dozen people were injured in the attack, police said.
The dead included two security personnel, a policeman and two passers-by, they said adding the toll could increase.
The injured were taken to nearby hospitals.
The blast created an eight-foot crater and the check post was destroyed.
Meanwhile, militants attacked Maryan police station in Bannu area of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province at 6:30 am, triggering a fierce gun battle that continued for about 90 minutes, killing six militants and injuring a policeman.
The attack was successfully thwarted and six militants killed, district police chief Nisar Tanoli told reporters.
Reports said several of the attackers blew themselves up while others were shot dead. Tanoli said a policeman was injured and the police station was slightly damaged.
He said the attackers appeared to be Uzbeks.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for both the terror attacks.
Taliban spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan told reporters by phone that suicide bombers were involved in the attack, which was launched to avenge the killings of militants who were in the custody of authorities.
Officials said the Taliban militants fired rockets before attempting to storm the police station.
Bannu, which lies between the settled area of Khyber- Pakhtunkhwa and the restive North Waziristan tribal region, has witnessed several militant attacks in recent years.
Three persons were killed and nine others injured when a vehicle carrying pro-government militia was targeted with an improvised explosive device in Orkazai tribal region, officials said.
Personnel from the Khasadar militia cordoned off the area and launched a search operation.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them