Terror attacks kill 16 in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: In a series of terror attacks targeting security forces, at least 16 persons, including six militants and three security personnel, were killed and over 20 injured in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Thursday.
A suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden car into a security check post in Hangu district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, killing seven persons, including security personnel, officials said.
The attacker targeted a check post manned by policemen and Frontier Corps personnel.
A dozen people were injured in the attack, police said.
The dead included two security personnel, a policeman and two passers-by, they said adding the toll could increase.
The injured were taken to nearby hospitals.
The blast created an eight-foot crater and the check post was destroyed.
Meanwhile, militants attacked Maryan police station in Bannu area of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province at 6:30 am, triggering a fierce gun battle that continued for about 90 minutes, killing six militants and injuring a policeman.
The attack was successfully thwarted and six militants killed, district police chief Nisar Tanoli told reporters.
Reports said several of the attackers blew themselves up while others were shot dead. Tanoli said a policeman was injured and the police station was slightly damaged.
He said the attackers appeared to be Uzbeks.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for both the terror attacks.
Taliban spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan told reporters by phone that suicide bombers were involved in the attack, which was launched to avenge the killings of militants who were in the custody of authorities.
Officials said the Taliban militants fired rockets before attempting to storm the police station.
Bannu, which lies between the settled area of Khyber- Pakhtunkhwa and the restive North Waziristan tribal region, has witnessed several militant attacks in recent years.
Three persons were killed and nine others injured when a vehicle carrying pro-government militia was targeted with an improvised explosive device in Orkazai tribal region, officials said.
Personnel from the Khasadar militia cordoned off the area and launched a search operation.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam