Terror attacks kill 16 in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: In a series of terror attacks targeting security forces, at least 16 persons, including six militants and three security personnel, were killed and over 20 injured in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Thursday.
A suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden car into a security check post in Hangu district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, killing seven persons, including security personnel, officials said.
The attacker targeted a check post manned by policemen and Frontier Corps personnel.
A dozen people were injured in the attack, police said.
The dead included two security personnel, a policeman and two passers-by, they said adding the toll could increase.
The injured were taken to nearby hospitals.
The blast created an eight-foot crater and the check post was destroyed.
Meanwhile, militants attacked Maryan police station in Bannu area of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province at 6:30 am, triggering a fierce gun battle that continued for about 90 minutes, killing six militants and injuring a policeman.
The attack was successfully thwarted and six militants killed, district police chief Nisar Tanoli told reporters.
Reports said several of the attackers blew themselves up while others were shot dead. Tanoli said a policeman was injured and the police station was slightly damaged.
He said the attackers appeared to be Uzbeks.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for both the terror attacks.
Taliban spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan told reporters by phone that suicide bombers were involved in the attack, which was launched to avenge the killings of militants who were in the custody of authorities.
Officials said the Taliban militants fired rockets before attempting to storm the police station.
Bannu, which lies between the settled area of Khyber- Pakhtunkhwa and the restive North Waziristan tribal region, has witnessed several militant attacks in recent years.
Three persons were killed and nine others injured when a vehicle carrying pro-government militia was targeted with an improvised explosive device in Orkazai tribal region, officials said.
Personnel from the Khasadar militia cordoned off the area and launched a search operation.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks